Thursday, October 8, 2009

Filling Foods: Quick and Easy Soup

Hello everyone,

My name is Vivienne and you will usually find me over at Serendipidy. I was over the moon when Trish asked me to contribute to this fabulous blog supporting the 100 mile challenge. Now I know that this is mainly about fitness, but personally, I find healthy eating tends to go hand in hand with keeping fit, so I thought I would share some of the wonderful low fat and non fat recipes I like to use to help me keep my weight down.

The one thing I have learnt in the past year since getting into shape is that I need to eat food that will keep me full and that won't make me hungry again in an hour. So I have started to make a lot of my own soups as they always keep me full. I tend to eat them on a lunch time and they normally stave off hunger until tea time. I tend to make them in bulk and keep them in the fridge, so if I do get hungry, I can pop a cupful into the microwave and have a quick filling snack.

One of my favourite recipes is Spicy Tomato Soup,which I am going to share with you today.

Spicy Tomato Soup

Now I am girl who likes to really hot up her food. I would put Tabasco on everything if I was allowed. So this recipe is a little spicy, but you can tone it down by adding less chillies.

Ingredients

2 Red Chillies
2 x 400g cans of chopped tomatoes (400g = 1 cup)
2 tablespoons of sweetener
salt and pepper
1 and 1/2 pints of vegetable stock
4 tablespoons of passata ( sieved tomatoes)
A few drops of Tabasco
A dash of lime

1) Halve and deseed the chillies, then place in a food processor or a blender with all the other ingredients and blend it until it is smooth.

2) Transfer mixture to a saucepan and gently heat through. I normally leave it for about 10 minutes to simmer. That is it. Nice and simple soup. I would say it takes about five minutes to put together and before you know you have a non fat soup ready to drink.

Apparently if you add 4 tablespoons of vodka to it, you will have a Bloody Mary Soup, but I have never tried that.

I hope you enjoy trying the recipe. As the weeks go on, I will try and get some pictures up of the finished dishes, so you can see what they will look like. Good luck with your walking.

6 comments:

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Sounds absolutely delicious! Being a southern girl, I like my food spicy as well--so bring on the Tobasco!

Thanks for the recipe Viv--this is perfect for the upcoming cooler weather.

Anonymous said...

Great recipe I'm going to use this really soon!!!

Katie said...

Sounds delish! So perfect for a cool fall day.

Lisa said...

I love pretty much every tomato soup I've ever had, so I suspect this would be a hit as well. It seems to be a family thing as The Pirate, who won't touch a tomato, loves tomato soup as well.

jonah and becky lang said...

Stumbled on your blog through Bethany. I love this idea. I have not exercised in more then 10 years. This spring I had my 3rd baby and watched my mother in law run her first marathon. It totally inspired me and now I have run more then 200 miles since June, and will run my first 1/2 marathon in 2 weeks. You can see my progress at marathonrunnermom at blogspot.com
I never thought this was possible and I am amazing myself!

Ceri said...

Good to see you over here, Viv. That soup sounds delicious. I'm addicted to soup - have hundreds of recipes for the stuff and I especially love spicy soup in winter. :-D I'll definitely be making this.