Monday, April 12, 2010

Something to think about...


Last month I started attending yoga. I signed up for a four week Intro to Yoga class, and I lucked out…there were only three people in the class, and I had a fantastic instructor. Now that I’ve finished with the Intro class, I’ve moved into a Beginner’s class with another instructor whose approach I really appreciate. So, I’m just a baby when it comes to yoga, but I’m definitely enjoying both the physical and mental aspects of the practice.

I wanted to share something that the instructor emphasized at my first class. It was quite thought provoking, and it’s something I keep returning to. In addition to warning us against comparing ourselves to the others in the class, Val said that we shouldn’t expect continuous improvement, either. For when we come to class, we bring all the worries and events of the day with us. While one week we might be able to touch our toes, the next week we might not. And that’s okay. We should concentrate on the present, and what our body can do at that moment. Which isn't to say that we shouldn't continue with our practice of yoga, or challenge ourselves to walk more miles, or consider taking up a new activity...it's just saying that if you could touch your toes/walk 5 miles/run a 5K yesterday and today you can't, don't beat yourself up about it. We all have off days, and your body won't be happy if you force it to do something it's not ready to do. And who knows...tomorrow you just might be able to touch those toes again! (And for the record, I still can't touch my toes.)

Also, at the end of each class, Val would also remind us to be grateful for our body and what it can do…as opposed to what it can’t do. It’s such a simple thought, but one that I had never really associated with exercise of any kind.

But I think it’s worth remembering, and I wanted to pass it on to you. As you go about your walking, or running, or whatever movement you choose this week, remember:


Be grateful for your body and what it can do.

1 comment:

Juliann said...

Great post. I had this revelation this last week. I have had some tendonitis so I have needed to revise my exercise routine and was feeling a bit sorry for my aging self. But I also was able to walk 4 miles on two different days this weekend(at a 15 minute/mile pace) so I guess I need to be grateful for that!