Monday, November 9, 2009

20 Minute Circuit Workout

Good Morning! I'm Vicky and I'm normally playing with shells at Shore Debris.

I have subscriptions to Self, Shape, and Fitness magazines and use them to mix and match exercises and create workouts that work for me and my neighbors. (Yes, I am a good friend, I bring out the workout and big stick to make sure they do it!) Currently, due to my one friend's very, very hectic schedule, I've been making different 10-20 minute workouts that she can try to fit in 4-5 times per week.



This workout involves both strength training and cardio intervals and should take you 20 minutes.

For the cardio sections, I used my elliptical, but I made my neighbor run sprints on our street. You can use a treadmill, bike, step up and down on the stairs in your house, jump rope, jumping jacks, run in place, etc - Just use whatever you have around.

The "Body weight circuit" that is listed in the workout is: 20 reps each with no rest between push-ups, sit-ups, squats, lunges (20 ea leg), and side leg lifts (20 ea leg).

And here is the workout:

2.5 min cardio warm-up

3 x (body weight circuit, 1 min cardio sprint)

1 x body weight circuit

1 min cardio cool-down

A minimum of 20 sec each (calf stretch, hamstring stretch, butterfly stretch)

I hope this gave you a new idea for what to do with your workouts this week. Have a great mileage week and if you have any questions about what I mean in this workout post, feel free to e-mail me at shoredebris at live dot com.

1 comment:

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

I love the thought of you being drill sergeant for your neighbors! :)

When I'm trying to mix things up a bit (ie get off the treadmill) I like to do squats and lunges. This sounds like a great way to get your heartrate up and get some strength training, too.